In 1831, several Charlestown citizens established the Connecticut River Bank with $60,000 in capital. At the same time, they constructed a new building to house the bank.
In the 1860s, George Bond purchased the world’s leading violin case manufacturer, headquartered in Charlestown. In 1891, he was chosen as Director of the Connecticut River National Bank, and in 1896 was elected President.
In 1864, Connecticut River National Bank was organized under the National Banking Act. In 1966, the bank constructed a new facility at 245 Main Street, and by the early 1970s, CRB had five locations and $11 million on deposit. The bank continued for 150 years as Connecticut River and was acquired by Mascoma Bank in 2014.